Sharks’ season ends with 24-14 loss to Ribault


The Sharks’ 2015 playoff run lasted just one game following a 24-14 loss to the Ribault Trojans. The visiting Trojans scored all their points in the first half before the Sharks’ defense figured out how to handle the fast and athletic opponent.

Ribault scored easily on their opening possession needing just three plays, one a 63–yard jaunt, for the touchdown. The Trojans showed how confident they were about their running game opting for a two-point conversion that they made uncontested for an 8-0 lead.

The Sharks advanced to the Trojan twenty-one on their opening drive but had to settle for a Chris Howard field goal attempt that sailed wide.

The teams exchanged punts but Ribault got the better of the exchange returning Nick Tronti’s pooch punt to the Sharks thirty-one yard line for net Ponte Vedra gain of just 9 yards. Four plays later Ribault scored again and duplicated their two-point conversion strategy for a 16-0 advantage.

The Sharks rallied behind a Tronti keeper that went for 40 yards to the Trojan nine then Hal Swan slipped up the middle to close the gap to 16-7. But Ribault covered eighty yards on their next drive in thirteen plays to tack on eight more points for a 24-7 halftime lead.

The Sharks benefited from the halftime break to make adjustments in their defense and did not allow another Trojan score. Ponte Vedra thwarted a Trojan drive when Andrew O’Dare intercepted a pass in the end zone but the Sharks offense couldn’t take advantage of the change of possession.

Again the teams exchanged punts but this time the Sharks got the benefit of the short field. On the Sharks’ ensuing drive, Tronti suffered a shoulder injury after running for a first down and was replaced at quarterback by Marshell Few.

Before the Trojans recognized the change at quarterback, Few lofted a thirty yard pass to O’Dare for a touchdown and the Sharks were within ten, 24-14, as the fourth quarter started.

Ribault moved into the Shark red zone on a long run but were stopped on fourth down at the five yard line by the charged up Ponte Vedra defense. The Sharks picked up one first down but had to turn the ball over on downs at their own twelve with three minutes to play.

The revitalized Shark defense came through with yet another big stop at their own six yard line. Again Ponte Vedra had the ball down ten with the goal line about 70 yards away and two minutes left.

Ribault seemingly dashed the Sharks hopes with an interception but one play later fumbled to ball back to Ponte Vedra. Unfortunately the Sharks were not able to take advantage of the turnover and their season ended several games too soon.