Sawgrass Country Club fire displaces four families


Four families were displaced from their homes last week after an electrical issue caused a fire that damaged four condominiums in Sawgrass Country Club.

St. Johns County Fire Rescue crews responded to the scene in the 70 block of Tifton Way North and found an evacuated multi-unit apartment building with heavy smoke and flames coming from the roof of a second-floor unit. Upon locating the source of the fire, responders realized it was rapidly moving through the attic, said SJCFR, and began efforts to stop the flames from spreading. While damage is extensive in the four condos, SJCFR officials said crews were able to limit impact to adjacent units in the building.

Fire rescue officials confirmed there were no injuries, and that the Red Cross was notified to assist the displaced families. During the search process, crews located and removed three dogs from a lower apartment unit that was filled with smoke. They are also unharmed.