This week, youth from around St. Johns County had their first performance of the 2015/1016 season from 4 to 5 p.m, at Sterry Piano Company on Old Dixie Highway.
Ensemble Performances of the Brother John Folk Song, the Duet Song, Op. 178 by J.W. Kalliwoda and A Bach Fest by J.S. Bach arranged by Bob Phillips were conducted by Interim Artistic Director Dr. Kira Omelchenko.
In addition solos were performed by:
• Carolyn Bell on trumpet performed an American Folk Song Liza Jane
• Zach Prewitt on Cello performed the Song of the Wind by Ernst Anschutz
• Albert Li on violin performed the 3rd Movement of Concerto No. 2 by Franz List
• Esther Simon on Piano performed Fantasy Impromptu Op66-Largo by Frederic Chopin
• Micah Taylor on Piano Performed A Comme Amour by Richard Clayderman
The afternoon Showcase performance was appreciated by all received a resounding ovation. A reception followed the afternoon of music.
Upcoming events include a performance on Thurs. Nov. 19 at an interfaith Thanksgiving meal and the Surf Illumination tree lighting at the St. Augustine Beach Pier, Sat. Nov. 21 from 5 to 6 p.m.
The goal of the St. Augustine Youth Orchestra (SAYO) is to provide a quality music program for local youth who wish to explore and expand their musicianship. SAYO is committed to foster musicianship for students, providing musical education as well as performance opportunities. SAYO seeks to encourage young players to develop their talents and seek a future in professional music. To learn more about SAYO, visit www.staugyouthorch.org.